Friday, September 12, 2014

Talking Science and not Sanskrit ~


I want to tell you a story. It starts with – 'Once upon a time' and it goes like this:

Love descends:

Once upon a time, a child was born in a rustic village of India and was embraced by love of his mother. Two months later, I returned home from my boarding school and I heard his voice for the first time.
“Mom, is that a cat?”
“It is your brother”, she said.
New born babies, I guess sound all the same, no matter their species. And, of course, I was hoping for a cat. 


The Un-magical spell:

Many years passed and I came to USA for graduate school.
When I went to visit home for the first time, there was so much excitement in home and everyone wanted to know what I did here in USA. So, I started telling the room full of my family and extended family members about my research. About 20 seconds into my elegant narration of the super grand work that I had been doing, I had very successfully put everyone to dead sleep!

Meanwhile my little brother, who as it turned out was not a cat, was playing outside, completely oblivious to my newly acquired un-magical charm of sleep. When he came back home, he asked me the same dreaded question that my relatives dared asked earlier in the day, “Didi (elder sister), what is that you study in your America school?”

You see, I will happily play the Pied Piper and lead the entire world to sleep or doom or whatever that comatose-sleep was. But I can't do that to my brother!



So, I told him a story instead:

"A story of vast vast ocean, oh so blue! An ocean, as big as thousands of lakes put together! You see earth can appear quite small in Geography books and fast flying airplanes. But listen, earth is huge – our big town, our entire big town is not even a speck on this soccer ball of earth. 

Some people spilled some oil in middle of ocean and the fishes were not able to breathe and they died. When this oil reached land, the land birds, who were playing with the water got oil all over them and their feathers got stuck. They could not fly and died. In my school, I am studying how to best clean this oil when it reaches the shore. You see, sometime oil makes puddles like water puddles after rain and sometimes it make small balls with sand like our mumma makes sweetmeat balls with butter. I want to know which one should I clean first- the puddle or the balls."

No one died that day. And, life moved on.

Memories that inspire:
About two years later, working on my PhD, we had our mentors, professors and big people reminding us over and over again that we need to learn how to communicate our research.
Aah! How the joy of giving the gift of sleep to my family clashed with the shame and sadness of my boring narratives!

One usual night, I was talking to my brother on phone about his school and he told me about this new subject that they have to study- Environmental Science. I chimed in, “Brother, I study that subject too! Wow!” And, I so remember what he said-
I know. I remember you told me that you study how to clean big oceans from oil. The birds and fishes die when oil is spilled and you want to clean the oil puddles and oil balls.”

He remembered. And, in his remembering he imparted the secrets of scientific communication to me. 

May be this passed your noticing, but our world has been much lighter and brighter place since then.



As I write my first blog for VT SuN to talk about my research, I write it for my Guru of scientific communication, my darling baby brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment